Monday, June 22, 2009

Wahoo Green Sauce

If you've ever been to Wahoo Fish Tacos, you know the green sauce I'm talking about. It's the mildly spicy cilantro sauce that they give you to put on your tacos and rice bowls. It's SO good. But a rice and shrimp bowl at Wahoo's costs around $7. For that price, I was able to make a big bunch of green sauce, plus the shrimp I needed to make rice bowls for the whole family!

After a bit of Internet searching, I found a recipe someone had created based on the Wahoo green sauce:

  • 1 Bunch Cilantro
  • 2 Cloves of fresh garlic
  • 2 Limes (Juice only)
  • 1/2 C. Half and Half or cream
  • 1/2 C. Mayonnaise
  • 1/4 tsp. salt or salt to taste
  • 1 Poblano pepper washed remove stem and seeds and cut into chunks
Put all the ingredients into your food processor and let her rip till the consistency is creamy and the cilantro and the Poblano pepper is very fine.

When I made it, I ended up adding a bit more salt and pepper to counteract the very strong lime. So when I make it again, I'll probably cut the lime juice by half. I also added about a tsp of cumin - but that's because we really love cumin at our house!

So it's not exactly Wahoo's green sauce. It's creamier and - as some commenters pointed out - higher in calories than the original. It's still pretty darned good.

I served it first on shrimp and rice bowls (cook rice, add a little chopped cilantro, top with shrimp stir-fried in teriyaki sauce and red pepper flakes) and it was delicious. Definitely a match for the pricy Wahoo bowls. Then we had a lot of the sauce left over, so the next night I served it on Gorgonzola beef rollups... that was really good, too. Especially since the Gorgonzola cheese was a bit too strong, so the green sauce counteracted that nicely. Finally, we had baked chicken and rice for dinner last night and it was just a little boring. But spoon a little of that green sauce over both the rice and chicken, add some diced avocado (and a slice of that artisan bread from my last post) and suddenly it was a meal worthy of Father's Day!

12 comments:

  1. I just ate at Wahoo's last night, and this morning I am on a mission to make the sauce on my own. The recipe above sounds good, however I'm not convinced that it's a good replica of Wahoo's. Their sauce is fat-free and there is no way with mayo and cream this sauce can be fat-free. How do you think it compares? I am thinking of using 0% Fat Fage Greek Yogurt in place of the mayo and cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good. Heavy lime. I`d recomment 1 lime, 1 jalapeno, and greek yogurt. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way is wahoo's recipe, there green sauce has 20 calories per ounce, your recipe as 200 calories per ounce

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1)This sauce tastes great. Which is all that really matters.

    2)The above comments are ridiculous. If you are on a low calorie, low fat diet, your opinion about recipes is null and void, as is your opinion about anything health related.

    3) I used to be the biggest Wahoos fan. And then Chronic Taco stole my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked at wahoos for 2 years they use mayo and milk fat free my ass!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being vegan, I used coconut cream, it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! Just made it with tacos! Thanks! It's close enough for me. The rude comments are just mean people…this sauce is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy. Taste great! Don't listen to those trolls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did i read from the original post that 3 day old leftover sauce was a hit and made the Father's Day dinner a BANG?!. Congrats on being able to make the Wahoo fish sauce, cuz the sauce is tasty. Of course i don't the know the situation in your household, but I wouldn't be a happy father with 3 day old sauce. I'm just saying. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY for you father's out there.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin