Friday, October 9, 2009

Spaghetti Sauce

My garden has produced copious amounts of tomatoes this year, so I have been making a lot of spaghetti sauce and freezing it. This is the traditional Allen family spaghetti sauce. I do a lot of variations to it, so it is a pretty fluid recipe.

1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, diced
4 mushrooms (I use a can of mushrooms instead)
1 lb hamburger
2 (30 oz) cans whole tomatoes, cut up with spoon (I use crushed tomatoes instead)
2 (16 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 c water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp Italian seasoning (this is an approximation-- mom told me to add it 'to taste'. I just sprinkle it on until it looks right.)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sugar
1/4-1/2 c Parmesan cheese

Chop and saute onion, green pepper and mushrooms. (My mom always did this-- I never do. I just throw it all in to the sauce raw.)

Brown hamburger and drain. Mix all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 3 hours or until thickened and yummy looking.

*Mom says you can put it in the oven at 250 degrees for 3-4 hours, no need to stir, as well. I've never tried it.

*I have put everything in the crock pot and cooked it all day. I do not add the water, since it doesn't boil off as it is cooking.

*I usually double this when I make it, using a big #10 can of crushed tomatoes from Sam's, adding a pound of sausage with the hamburger, and doubling the other veggies.

*Add whatever veggies you like in your spaghetti. I have put zucchini, carrots, summer squash, etc into it as well.

*To use fresh tomatoes, puree in a food processor or chop tomatoes. I don't skin or de-seed them, but it would be better if you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin