Monday, November 23, 2009
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
I don't know about you but I love soups. They are comfort food, especially during this time of year. I found this recipe on Dinner's On Me's blog. Click HERE to go directly to this blog and find other great recipes. I was very impressed with this recipe, it was the first I've tried of his. I will definitely being trying other recipes from him. Now, this recipe does call for heavy whipping cream, and I have to say, anything that calls for heavy whipping cream has got to be good! Give this recipe a try. I am positive you will love it!
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cooked & shredded
1 (4.3 oz) box Rice-a-Roni Long Grain & Wild Rice (original flavor)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup milk
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and carrots and saute for 7-8 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth, water and shredded chicken.
3. Bring to a boil and add rice (save seasoning packet!).
4. Cover pot and remove from heat.
5. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the seasoning packet and stir to combine.
6. Slowly add the flour (in 1/4 cup increments) to form a roux and continue to stir.
7. Add salt and pepper.
8. Whisk in heavy cream and milk, a little at a time, until fully incorporated. Cook and continue to stir until thickened - about 5 minutes.
9. Return broth/rice mixture to the heat and add cream mixture. Cook over medium heat until rice is softened and soup is thickened and heated through, about 10-15 minutes.