Monday, August 30, 2010

Banana Muffin Mix

Well, I'm not on bed rest, but the doctor tells me to 'take it really, really easy'.  So I have been doing things to help me be able to fulfill this assignment from the doc.  One thing I have started doing that has been a huge help and time-saver has been to make mixes for the normal baked goods we have.  (Just so you know, I either put them together sitting at the table or have someone who is here to help put them together.)

For the mixes, I just take the dry ingredients, combine them and then put them in a tupperware (or you could use a ziplock bag).  I keep each container with the dry ingredients for one batch of the item, so I just dump the dry ingredients into a bowl, mix in the wet ingredients and put it in the oven.  It sure beats pulling out all the dry ingredients and measuring them out.  And it is easy to make multiple mixes all at the same time, and then have some variety for the month!  Last time I did this, I got two each of 5 different recipes put together in an hour.

I love this Banana Muffin recipe Aubony submitted a while ago.  Normally I think of Banana Bread as so sweet, I don't really like it.  This recipe has much less sugar and tastes great!  I made up a recipe for a mix where I 'healthified' it a little more.


Mix together in a tupperware or bag:
1 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/3 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp powdered milk (the kind from the cannery)
When ready to make, pour dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and add:
1 beaten egg
1/2 c water
1/4 c oil
3/4 c mashed banana
Grease 12 muffin cups.  Combine wet ingredients.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Add mashed bananas.  Spoon into muffin cups.  Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin