Monday, October 18, 2010

Roasted Acorn Squash Soup

Super easy recipe. I managed to make it while not exceeding my allowance of minutes to be up and around the house today (while on bed rest).

- 2-3 acorn squash (I'm sure it would work with other types of squash as well)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups water
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- bacon, chicken, or some other meat (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Lightly spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray and place squash on sheet cut-side down. Roast in oven for 45 minutes (until soft all the way through). Scoop roasted squash from the peel into a bowl or saucepan.

Saute chopped onions in butter, then add to squash. Add water, cream of chicken soup, and cream cheese. Puree mixture with an immersion blender. (If you don't have an immersion blender, you could leave out the water and puree in a food processor. Then add the water afterwards.)

Put meat in crockpot and add squash puree. (I used some diced pork I had in the freezer, but I think any meat would work.) Add seasonings. Cook on low for 4 hours.

You could easily skip the crockpot and just make this in a saucepan - I just used the crockpot to spread out the preparation steps and cooking time and make it easier on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin